There are a variety of resources available to journalists seeking to expand their skills and to freelancers and others seeking affordable health insurance coverage. Below you will find contact information for these services. If you know of other resources that should be listed on this page, please let us know in the comments and we will update the list.
Resources for job-training and job-placement:
- Bay Area workforce agencies offer high-quality, free assistance with career strategy development, job search, resume and interview support as well as access to training. For more information, contact Luther Jackson at email@example.com.
- JournalismJobs.com has an extensive list of research tools for journalists.
- Poynter.org offers a variety of in-person and online classes in a range of content areas, including design and online community management.
- State of the art multi-media training opportunities are available at:
Information on Health Benefits:
- The freelance unit of the California Media Workers Guild provides a wide array of services for freelancers and independent contractors, including dental and vision benefits, career development workshops and networking opportunities. For more information, go to guildfreelancers.org or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting details.
- The Freelance Workers Union has compiled a list of insurance plans for freelancers.
- The National Association of the Self-Employed connects freelancers and small-business owners with insurance plans at reduced rates for NASE members.